Features of this release include:
- File Services—The Advanced Server for OpenVMS provides clients with a remote file system that appears as
a transparent extension of the client system's local computing environment.
- Print Shares—The Advanced Server for OpenVMS software allows Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 2003,
Windows XP Professional, and OpenVMS users share printers connected to Alpha computers
or OpenVMS Cluster systems, as well as network-based printers such as LAT printers and
PrintServers. Print shares are supported in local area network (LAN) and wide area network
(WAN) environments. PC clients can print files from their desktop operating systems as well as
from PC applications.
- Sharing of Network Resources by Heterogeneous Users—Services provided by Advanced Server are accessible to PATHWORKS clients as well
as to Microsoft clients. All clients using the services of the Advanced Server for OpenVMS must be
- Network Transports—Advanced Server for OpenVMS supports DECnet (Phase IV) and DECnet-Plus (formerly known
as DECnet/OSI) transport software as supported by OpenVMS Alpha Version 7.3-2, 8.2 and
8.3. The server also supports TCP/IP and NetBEUI network transport software. One or more
transport stacks can work concurrently on the server.
- Flexible Security Models—The Advanced Server allows you to choose one of two modes of security, depending on the
needs of your environment.
- Domain Support—Advanced Server allows the network to be subdivided into domains (administrative groups of
servers and clients). The Advanced Server can be a member of a single domain. The Advanced Server can be a primary domain controller (PDC), a backup domain controller
(BDC), or a member server.
- Trust Relationships—The Advanced Server supports trusts. Trust relationships can allow users from other domains
to access resources in the local domain, and allows local domain users to access resources in
- NetLogon Services—A single domainwide logon lets a user access resources on any server in a domain or on
servers in other domains that trust the domain.
For more information on the new features, see the latest Advanced Server for OpenVMS release notes or the Software Product Description (SPD).