- Where can I research commonly-seen printing problems?
- How can I customize DCPS for a new printer?
- Can I print to the parallel port?
1. Where can I research commonly-seen printing problems?
The link below is an Ask the Wizard answer that discusses a variety of common questions concerning IP printing using telnet
and lpr/lpd, including commonly-seen problems such as:
- Blank pages and the printer-generated banner pages
- Configuration of various Compaq and third-party printers
- DECserver terminal server printing
It also discusses device control libraries and a variety of device-control issues.
Numerous pointers to other topics associated with IP printing are included.
» (Ask the Wizard 1020) HP Printers and Blank Pages?
2. How can I customize DCPS for a new printer?
The link below is a section of the OpenVMS frequently asked questions document that explains how to customize DCPS for an otherwise unsupported printer.
» (OpenVMS FAQ 5.34) How can I customize the DCPS device control for a new printer?
3. Can I print to the parallel port?
Not with DCPS. The parallel printing port LRA0: found on many OpenVMS Alpha systems is capable of some bidirectional
communications, with enough for basic operations with most parallel printers. However, DCPS requires more than just
the simple handshaking provided by the LRA0: port. Therefore DCPS does not work with the LRA0: port.