A safe journey to evolution
There has never been a better or more exciting time to build the operating environment of tomorrow with the greatest level of confidence for investment protection. HP ported OpenVMS to the HP Integrity platform to continue the evolution of one of the world's best enterprise operating systes. In addition, HP offers the Alpha RetainTrust program › to ensure smooth and successful transitions from OpenVMS AlphaServer environments to OpenVMS on HP Integrity servers.
HP provides a portfolio of tools › and methodologies to help successfully plan and design the transition to OpenVMS on Integrity servers.
HP developed two transition module kits › to help successfully plan and design the transition to OpenVMS on Integrity servers.
HP offers the resources and tools needed to ensure smooth and successful application and systems transitions. This page offers a variety of tools to help with the transition to OpenVMS on HP Integrity servers.
Application Transition tools
The following transition tools provide support for assessing and planning your custom code transition efforts:
- Alpha Environment Software Translator (AEST)—a utility that
translates executable and shareable OpenVMS AlphaServer system images
into functionally equivalent images that run on OpenVMS on Integrity
servers. A translated image is an OpenVMS Integrity server image
containing both AlphaServer system code translated into Integrity server
code, as well as the original OpenVMS AlphaServer system image.
To Download this translator please visit http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/omsva/omsais.html ›
- VAX Environment Software Translator (VEST)—a utility that translates
executable and shareable OpenVMS VAX images into functionally equivalent
images that run on OpenVMS AlphaServer systems. A translated image is an
OpenVMS AlphaServer system image containing both VAX code translated into AlphaServer systems code,
as well as the original OpenVMS VAX image.
To download this translator please visit http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/omsva/omsva.html ›
- Translated Image Environment (TIE)—a utility that provides the run-time environment for translated image execution.
- PL/I to C/C++—programming language conversion tools and services provided by Software Resources International (SRI). For more information read the translation services overview. ›
- PointSecure Migration Advisor—PointSecure, working with HP OpenVMS, has created a tool called Migration Advisor that aids in collecting information about your current OpenVMS system environment. For the Migration Advisor FAQ, click here › or for a quick overview, click here ›. Migration Advisor can be downloaded from PointSecure at http://www.pointsecure.com/products/MigrationAdvisor.aspx ›.
- Kednos PL/I Itanium Solution—Kednos Enterprises has released their PL/I Run-Time Library for supporting Translated Images on OpenVMS I64. This is the only way to get your OpenVMS VAX or Alpha PL/I software running in an OpenVMS I64 environment.
This software product is a port of the OpenVMS Alpha PL/I Run-TIme Library to OpenVMS I64. Its purpose is to provide run-time support for translated PL/I images. The RTL supports images originally compiled and linked under OpenVMS Alpha that have subsequently been translated for execution on OpenVMS I64 using the AEST translator from HP's OpenVMS Migration Software for Alpha to Integrity Servers (OMSAIS).
The Native IPF PL/I Run-Time Library for Translated Images is available for download on the Kednos website: http://www.kednos.com/ ›
For a list of items to consider when porting custom code, see the Custom Code Planning and Design module › in the transition modules package. This supporting documentation also includes a porting checklist.
HP provides long-term business continuity for VAX and AlphaServer system customers. The transition module kits demonstrate the business value of moving forward with HP by providing information to help plan and design the transition to OpenVMS on Integrity servers.
The planning and design modules address environment assessment and high-level planning. The high-level plans are used when entering the design phase, where more specific details on how the transition will be conducted are defined.
The following table lists the OpenVMS VAX / AlphaServer systems to OpenVMS Integrity servers transition modules that are currently available:
|Platform Infrastructure||High-level planning information and recommendations to assess efforts to transition the platform infrastructure, including servers, operating systems, storage, and tape devices|
|Custom Code||High-level planning and design information and recommendations to assess efforts to transition custom-code applications (addresses programming-related transition issues)|
|Packaged Applications||Planning and design information and recommendations to help assess efforts to transition packaged applications from independent software vendors (ISVs)|
|Database for Oracle and Rdb||
Planning information and recommendations to help assess efforts to transition databases for Oracle and Rdb
- Provide method and framework to approach transition planning and design
- Provide the means to begin to gauge level of effort and transition duration
- Save time and effort in planning and designing the transition to HP Integrity servers
- Help identify the areas within each module that require further planning or design, and those that do not pertain to the transition
- Help define a customized plan for those areas that require further planning and design
To get the most from these transition modules:
- Be familiar with long term business and technical goals
- Be familiar with the current hardware and operating system environment (platform infrastructure)
- Be familiar with the OpenVMS application development environment, and any custom-code applications
- Be familiar with current ISV packaged applications, if applicable
- Understand the current overall database design and implementation; database usage, characteristics, and resource demands; and database access points and dependencies
- Understand the current overall architectural implementation
- Be aware of any system design goals that were used in the current implementation
- Be aware of any system design goals that are desired for the target platform
The transition module kits are packaged in downloadable Zip files for use by HP OpenVMS customers. Each Zip file is comprised of a directory of associated documents, each of which can be viewed in a Web browser. Customers must agree with the license terms and submit registration information before receiving the Zip file.
To download transition modules Zip files:
- Fill out the registration form
- Customers must read, understand, and agree to the license terms.
- Click "Submit" to send the registration form.
- Select one of the following transition modules from the download page, and right click to save the file to a local folder:
- "VAX Transition Modules Zip file"
- "Alpha Transition Module Zip file"
For more information about the transition modules, please
HP offers a variety of information and links to assist with smooth and successful application and systems transitions to HP Integrity servers.